LS Dyna

LS Dyna

Shock wave acting

TAGGED: 

• javat33489
      Subscriber
      Tell me please.
      How can you calculate a simple object with a shock wave acting on it.
      Only the shock wave strength of 10 kPa is known.
      There is no information in the tutorials.
      For such a calculation, speed is also needed, for example, you can take the speed from a waste element of 0.012 seconds.
      But how to proceed?
      I think this should be solved in LS-Dyna or Explicit. But it is not clear to me yet how to set the boundary conditions for such a calculation.
      If you know please tell me.
      Thank you.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Do you mean a literal shock wave or do you mean a wavefront that moves through the object at the speed of sound?

A shock wave is generated when a wave propagates through a medium at a speed faster than the speed of sound travels through that medium. A supersonic plane can travel through air faster than the speed of sound. An explosion can also create a shock wave in the air. The sudden pressure change in air causes the sonic boom or blast wave that can be heard on the ground some distance away. ANSYS Fluent and other CFD codes can simulate supersonic shock waves.

Sound waves also propogate through materials at the speed of sound. The wavefront can be simulated in Explicit Dynnamics when some type of energy impacts a material. The energy could be in the form of a solid impact, or a pressure wave from a fluid medium such as air or water.

Please describe more completely what it is you are trying to simulate.
      • javat33489
        Subscriber
        I'm trying to simulate the effect of a shock wave on a steel frame building.
        If there was an explosion at the industrial site, how would this building react to it.
        But from the boundary conditions, I only have a wave force of 10 kPa according to the terms of reference for the calculation.
        The rest of the parameters, such as wave speed, I think you can take the standard or in the equivalent.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.