General Mechanical

General Mechanical

SIF of the element

• momidor
      Subscriber

Hi, 

I'm  wonder whether is possible to obtain SIF ( stress intensification factor ) from the model somehow ?

Regards

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Mom,

If you have a crack in your geometry, you can perform a Fracture Analysis on it.

There is a whole section of the online help about how to do that.

From your other post, I got the impression that the flaw in your solid model is more of a void than a crack. In that case, the Pre-Meshed Crack might work. That is where you use a named selection for the nodes that are on the crack front.

You insert a Fracture into the model and a Fracture Tool in the Solution branch and request the SIFS result.

Today I was playing with geometry to represent the air around an airfoil, so I re-purposed the geometry, assigned Structural Steel material property and defined a pre-meshed crack at the trailing edge. The bottom of the block is fixed and the top has an applied upward force. Here is the SIFS result from the Fracture Analysis.

I found a YouTube video that shows some of these operations in ANSYS 14.5

Cheers,
      Peter

• momidor
      Subscriber

Hi Peter, 

Thanks a lot ! Look ideal but the obstacle is I don't have "Fracture" button under the command bar "Model" 

Regards 

Mom

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Mom,

A very simple way to think about this is to have two models: one with and one without the void.
      It is simple to delete the 6 faces of the void in DesignModeler to end up with a smooth surface.

With the void, I got 643 MPa while without the void, I got 207 MPa, so you could estimate a stress concentration factor of 3.1

Hope this helps. Others may want to comment.

Cheers,
      Peter

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.