Fluids

Fluids

Silica nanoparticle dispersion in water

• Vikas_Vashisth
      Subscriber
      Hello EveryonenCan anyone please help me in simulating the silica nanoparticle dispersion in water while using CFD coupled with population balance model (quadrature method of moments)?n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      That's fairly advanced. How big are the nanoparticles (roughly) and have you got any information to determine breakup & agglomeration? n
    • Vikas_Vashisth
      Subscriber
      Initial size of agglomerates is around 100 micro-meter. As there is no model available on the breakup and agglomeration of nanoparticles in liquids using CFD-PBM. I found limited literature on CFD-PBM coupling for such dispersion. There is one article that mentioned the breakup and aggregation about silica nanoparticles in water Dispersion of nanoparticles clusters in a rotor-stator mixer, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2008, 47, 10, 3652–3663. n
    • Vikas_Vashisth
      Subscriber
      Any update?n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      For what? I thought you were telling me you'd found a paper with everything you needed. n
    • Vikas_Vashisth
      Subscriber
      Is there any specific model for breakage and agglomeration of nanoparticles is Fluent. In above mentioned paper, they used a udf for viscosity variation. They didn't mention the model used in QMOM for breakage and agglomeration.n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      There's not a nano-particle model in Fluent, you'll need to write one, publish it with good validation data and we'll then wait for it to be accepted (ie other researchers try and break it) before considering adding it to Fluent. nThe Population Balance model(s) are designed to give you the freedom to set up the coefficients based on your data: we can't supply coefficients for everything as virtually every material combination will behave differently. n
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.