General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Simulate Brittle Cracking

• stevenlana13
      Subscriber

Hello, everyone.

I am trying to simulate the cracking of a nutshell in ANSYS static structural but i still havent successfully done it. From my basic understanding of simulations, I can input a model, specify the appropriate boundary conditions, and compare the results generated by ANSYS to experimental results. I already have the experimental data like fracture stress, force at fracture, deformation and strain, plus the areas in the model in which we expect the cracks to appear (or at least the areas in which the values for stress are highest). Below shows the usual cracking pattern of the shell:

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nThis model correctly shows where the first crack will occur and you can see matching pieces in the photograph.nYou need a second model whose geometry has the ends already separated. This second model might show stress in the region where the second crack occurs.n
    • stevenlana13
      Subscriber
      thanks for the feedback. I followed your advice but I still cant show in ANSYS that the highest stress must be in the areas were the cracks appeared. The partial results look like this, (total deformation, maximum principal stress, equivalent stress)nnnAlso, ansys is giving me this errors, and the force-convergence graph looks weird. Please help. Thank younnn
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Please make stress plots that are scoped to the nut only and not All Bodies. I don't care about the stress in the end plates that are doing the cracking of the nut.nTurn on the Max flag and make a Section Cut view to see the distribution of stress about the maximum location on a few different planes.nI don't think it matters that the N-R Force Convergence Plot has spikes.n
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.