Fluids

Fluids

Simulate duct fan by momentum source

• Dayananda swamy KM
      Subscriber

I want to simulate air flow in a duct with a fan at end sucking air out of the duct. I only concerned with duct flow, if i want to simulate effect of suction what should i use. I tried momentum source but it's not working.

Please give your suggestions.

• Raef.Kobeissi
      Subscriber

Hello,

Have you tried the Fan boundary condition in Fluent to simulate that? where is the location of the fan with respect to the duct?

Regards

• Dayananda swamy KM
      Subscriber
      Fan boundary condition needs pressure drop terms. I know the flow rate. Model is a server modelled as rectangular box. I made it as a separate zone in a an enclosure that is open at both ends to atmosphere.
    • Dayananda swamy KM
      Subscriber
      Can you explain the use of momentum source?
    • Dayananda swamy KM
      Subscriber
      I have seen your video on electronics cooling, if i want to model that when it's planned in a room. Boundary conditions change, please help.
      Fan boundary condition only gives pressure corresponding to flow rate, how can i specify flow or velocity when both ends are atmospheric.
    • Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

To add to the comments provided by Raef, you might want to use the Fan boundary condition. You have to have the fan curve details. In the electronics industry, depending on which fan one uses, a fan curve is generally supplied by the vendor of the fan. You might be able to obtain the static pressure vs. cfm details from there. Once you have this data, you should be able to input this into the fan boundary condition for your simulation needs. 

Another possibility, if I understand your modeling needs right, is to include the geometry of your fan in your analysis. You can do a 'Mesh motion' on the fan region to calculate the positive pressure provided by your fan design. You might want to have a look at this excellent video tutorial created by Raef on this for electronics cooling applications.

Also, could you please provide a link to the video you are referring to in your earlier post? We need this piece of info to understand your subsequent questions.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Karthik

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.