Fluids

Fluids

Simulate melting and extrusion of a particles reinforced composite filament

• H_E
      Subscriber
      Hi.nI would like to simulate the melting and extrusion of a particles reinforced composite filament which consists of a type of metal particles as the reinforcement in a matrix made by several types of polymer.nCan anyone advise on how to do this?nThanks.n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Do the particles melt or are they an inclusion in the extruded polymer? n
    • H_E
      Subscriber
      Hi,nThe metal particles would be low melting point alloys and I would need to examine if it would melt as well.n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      First pass would be Polyflow for the extrusion to see what the temperature is. I don't know how Polyflow accounts for particles. may know more. n
    • H_E
      Subscriber
      nHow if the particles do not melt?n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You have options for multiphase (Fluent, I can't comment on Polyflow) or to use a nonNewtonian viscosity and ignore the solids (Fluent & Polyflow) . I've used the latter for blood and waste water modelling (not at the same time I should add) and it's a cheaper compute run as they tend to be steady state. n
    • H_E
      Subscriber
      Can you elaborate more on multiphase? The melting and solidification model is disabled if I choose Eulerian.nThanks.n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Melting & solidification is available in the VOF model, but not with Eulerian. You can add phase change into the Eulerian model, and that'll be set in the phase interaction tab(s). Have a look through the documentation as the Theory Guide is fairly comprehensive. n
    • H_E
      Subscriber
      I will look through it.nThanks.n
    • Benjamin Ducoeur
      Ansys Employee
      Here is a few information concerning ANSYS Polyflow:nPolyflow can deal with particle but on a post-processing stage only. The particle will thus not have any interaction with the fluid and melting will not be considered.nParticule following is use to study mixing efficiency for example.nThis is done using Polystat module. More information can be found here : https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v202/en/poly_ps/poly_ps.htmlnExample 46 from the example manual could be a good starting point. Manual is available in ?Polyflow Example Files? in the following link : https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/prod_page.html?pn=Polyflow&pid=Polyflow&lang=en&prodver=20.2n
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.