General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Simulating residual stress in metal castings

• Rashi
      Subscriber

Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of simulating residual stresses in engine blocks. I'm using Ansys Fluent to obtain temperature data and using Mechanical to obtain stress distribution.

In Fluent I'm using user-defined material properties in Fluent and while doing the simulation in mechanical I get the following message.

"The reference temperature for the thermal expansion coefficient differs from the reference temperature of one or more bodies. The data will be adjusted to have a zero thermal strain at the reference temperature of each body. If the number of temperature points is sparse this could cause invalid values to be used for calculations. The recommendation is to have the same reference temperature on the bodies as the thermal expansion coefficient's reference temperature in Engineering Data or a dense number of temperature points."

How do I define the reference temperature? Is it have to be done in Fluent? Due to computation limitations, I'm unable to have a dense number of temperature points.

Also, what is the best method to constrain a model when simulating thermal stress?

Thanks in Advance.

• 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      You could define the reference temperature in fluent under setup>reference values and use the same value for 'material field variable' in engineering data. The kind of constraints would depend on how the engine block is connected to rest of the components. The block must be bolted at some points right? You could insert a fix support at these points.
      Regards Ishan.
    • Rashi
      Subscriber
      Hello Ishan
      Thank you for your reply. I was able to change the reference values as instrcucted.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.