Electronics

Electronics

Simulation Coil On Ansys Maxwell

• AndresC
      Subscriber

Hello.

I'm trying to simulate a Coil on Ansys Maxwell to calculate and plot the behaviour of the magnetic Field, but the simulation always generate an error message. I've been reading about the best simulation option and I chose Eddy Current Solution. Also I have assigned two excitation  current on each coil terminal (One of the current goes inside the top of the coil terminal, and the other one flows out of the coil terminal). Also, the coil terminals touch the region wall. 
      At the end of the simulation process appears this error message:

- "Mesh could not be made watertight on ths following boodies {FieldCoil}

-"Suface Mesh Generation Failed"

-"Simulation completed with execution error on server. Local Machine.

Many thanks!

• Navya C
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

If your interest is only to see the magnetic fields. You can create a cylinder to mimic the coil. You need not go for a coil like the one you have shown.

Steps:

> Create a polygon cylinder (Use polygon than a regular cylinder for better mesh).

> Create the section along the YZ or XZ direction.

> split the section

> delete one of the section

> Assign excitation(current) to the remaining section. Here comes the number of turns, if the current going in is 1A and you have 100 turns in the coil then you can assign 100A.

>  Add Region, Assign mesh, Add solution setup.

> Validate the design and Analyse.

Please refer to Ansys help to get more understanding of these steps.

When you are on Maxwell, go to Help > Maxwell pdfs > Maxwell help 

• AndresC
      Subscriber

Thank you for your answer. Well, in this case I'm not only interested to analyze magnetic field. This is why I would like to simulate the Coil of the image. I would like to evaluate the behaviour of the coil acording to number of turns, diameter of the coil. Also I've been check some information about to terminal Coils. So, I would like to evaluate the differences that may occur generating variations in the coil design. 

Nevertheless, Ikept trying with the first design and I managed to perform the simulation. Then, I would try to evaluate the behaviour of two Coils. 

Now, I would like to Know what is about the problems that now appears in the Message Manager. Also I would like to know, how I can decrease the simulation time (In this case, the simulation of the image coils, lasted approximately 32 hours).

• mbeliaev
      Ansys Employee

you make your coil as true surface, this produces to many elements and you are out of ram.

please use polygon instead of circle when you sweep the geometry.I would say polygon with 6 sides would be enough

• AndresC
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

Thanks by your recommendations. I going to change this parameter in the design to prove. Maybe you know how I can evaluate the voltage induced (FEM) in the coil, and how I can plot the current and also this voltage?, as well as, with a transient solution I can evaluate the behaviour of fileds and FEM in the coil proving different sample materials (In this case I will not change the frequency, I just want to change the distance of the sample) ?. 

• mbeliaev
      Ansys Employee

1. increase Z axis, you cut the flux

2. use Winding excitations, in secondary just set voltage winding, 0V and load resistance. Primary small resistance and Vpeak voltage

3. You can create material array to sweep it: https://support.ansys.com/AnsysCustomerPortal/en_us/Knowledge+Resources/Solutions/Maxwell/2049128

4. distance between objects could be parametrized via Move operation setting vector of movement as a variable

press F3/F4 to switch during move operation

• AndresC
      Subscriber

Hi mbeliaev,

I have follow this steps before the simulation or after ?. 

And this process I have to do with the Eddy current Solver type? Or I have to choose another type of solution?

• mbeliaev
      Ansys Employee

all steps are preprocessing (before)

yes, in eddy

• AndresC
      Subscriber

Hi everyone, I've been working on that but I'm still have problems with that. I'm follow the instructions but I cant plot the current on the RxCoil (Green), and also I can't measure the induced voltage (emf) on the TxCoil (Blue). For that, I changed the design and this are the steps for excitation parameters:

-          - Current Excitation: “Add Winding” with 2kA and solid current. Then, for each terminal of the Tx Coil assign the coil terminal.

-          - Voltage Excitation: “Add Winding” with 0 V and solid Voltage, and 1 kOhm resistance. Then, for each terminal of the Rx Coil assign the voltage terminal.

On the project tree, I'm select the results Create EddyCurrent Report, Rectangular Plot but the sinusoidal current doesn´t appears.  I hope you can help me with this problem. Thanks. 

Coil Simulation Design

• mbeliaev
      Ansys Employee

yes, you should have one point probably on your plot. Default is current vs frequency and you probably solve only adaptive frequency.

please plot current vs phase plot

• AndresC
      Subscriber

Yeah, you are right. I'm solving for adaptive frequency (5 kHz) because I would like to measure the voltage (emf) in the Receiver Coil (Blue) for a specific vaue of frequency. 

Could you explain me how I can get the phase value please?. The current is supposed to be on the Y axis and the phase on the X Axis. But like you can see in the image, Y value seems like it doesn't recognize the function. I'm a little bit confused with that. I really appreciate your help. 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.