August 24, 2022 at 7:34 pmmehranSubscriber
1 - Can someone please tell me what's the recommended FDTD simulation length for a given pulse length?
2 - Do we need to "add mesh" or the default mesh structure should work? (I know it depends on the structure, but in general for simple tasks. For example for a layered (nonlinear/linear) dielectric structure, Yu-Mittra method 2 should be fine? )
August 25, 2022 at 4:36 pmGuilin SunAnsys Employee
A1: if you do not know the pulse length or no specific requirement, or not having issues, please use the default settings.
A2: you may not need to use the override mesh. Please refer this post https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/ansys-insight-about-override-mesh-in-fdtd-solutions-its-use-and-settings/
for general interface, no need to use override, in most cases. When you have 2D thin sheet, you may need, but it is also not mandatory, and this is for resolution, not specifically for interface.
August 25, 2022 at 5:32 pmmehranSubscriber
Thank you for getting back to me on this. I do know the input pulse length. I am using various pulse lengths (100, 200, 500) fs. Can you please tell me what's the desired length for these, for example maybe 10 times the pulse-legnth?
August 25, 2022 at 7:41 pmGuilin SunAnsys Employee
Do you have specific requirement for the pulse length? if not, please use the default signal, which is optimized. In particular, for linear simulation, no need to change the pulse length, except you want to have narrow bandwidth or there is resonance outside the desired bandwidth that prevents fast convergence.
Only when you want time-domain, accumulate effect then you need to set the pulse length to be practical, which is rare.
For nonlinear simulation, it might be different, depending on what the nonlinear effect you simulate. In some case you have to use almost sine excitation: https://optics.ansys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042192813
other articles might be useful :
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Lumerical support has moved to the Ansys Learning Forum (ALF)
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
- focusing efficiency