December 4, 2022 at 8:10 amStudenteAnsysSubscriber
Hello everyone, I'm trying to simulate a bending plate using shell181 elements but I get an unacceptable percentual error in the results and I can't figure out why.
Lenghts are in mm.
The geometry of my plate is 100x50x1 (bxhxt).
Bending moment: 100Nmm.
Settings for the shell element
In this picture all the constrains are shown
I got from the simulation these results
But I expected a stress of 12MPa.
What am I missing?
December 4, 2022 at 11:35 ampeteroznewmanSubscriber
If you exclude the elements along the fixed support edge, the stress is very close to 12 MPa, which a hand calculation of Mc/I shows is the correct answer. The simple Mc/I equation applies to beam elements that have only a single node that is fixed.
Shell elements have a row of nodes along the fixed edge. The material has a Poisson’s Ratio. The value of Poisson’s ratio is the negative of the ratio of transverse strain to axial strain. Because the nodes are fixed in the transverse direction, the transverse strain causes an additional stress to the bending stress you calculated. Try changing Poisson’s Ratio to 0 and you should get a more uniform stress result. Alternatively, you could modify the support so that the nodes along that edge are free to move along that line, except for a single node that is fixed.
December 5, 2022 at 8:39 pmStudenteAnsysSubscriber
Thank you very much for your help.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Colors and Mesh Display
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- User manual
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.