Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Simulation of Constant Volume Combustion – CHEMKIN PRO | Student

• Austin Metcalf
      Subscriber

I'm trying to simulate the flame propogation inside a constant volume chamber using Chemkin.

My first idea was to use a Closed Homogeneous Batch Reactor - but it seems like there is no way to initiate a reaction from a point.

Is this type of simulation possible with ANSYS Chemkin-Pro?

EDIT: It seems like I am able to initiate a combustion in a 0-D Homogeneous Batch Reactor by changing the initial temperature of the Fuel + Oxidizer mixture in the tank. This helps but does not properly produce the effect of initiating the combustion from a kernel.

• Judy Cooper
      Ansys Employee

Hi Austin:

Closed Homgeneous batch reactors are intended for homegeneous processes, so there is no spatial component.  To add a spatial component to the combustion, a different Chemkin model is required

2.3.5. Burner-stabilized Flame

Flame propagation in Chemkin can be done using the Flame Speed Library Reactor model. 

2.3.9. Parameter Study: Propane/Air Flame Speed as a Function of Equivalence Ratio and Unburned Gas Temperature

This allows you to plot species change across the flamefront:

Both are diffusion flames.  Flame propagation is fundementally a 3D process, and should be modelled with rull CFD.  Chemkin can be used to generate the required flame library information to make the CFD calculations accurate, however.

Best Regards,

Judy

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.