Electronics

Electronics

Simulation of Dielectric Elastomer Actuator with thick and relatively hard Electrodes

• Saumya
      Subscriber

I want to simulate a few Dielectric layers sandwiched between electrodes with comparable thickness and relatively stiffer. I know how to simulate DEA alone with direct application of voltage, but when I try to introduce electrodes, the simulation behaves in a weird manner. The attached image is an exaggerated version of the model. I am not able to correct this simulation.

• Navya C
      Ansys Employee
      Hi @Saumya Which Ansys tool are you using for this simulation?

Regards Navya
    • Saumya
      Subscriber
      Hi @nchode "Ansys tool" as in? I used Electrostatic Structural in Piezo and MEMS Extension.
      Saumya
    • Bill Bulat
      Ansys Employee
      Hi @Saumya What is the objective of your analysis? Do you intend to treat all structures as infinitely rigid and evaluate capacitance? Or are the electrodes assumed to be infinitely rigid and the dielectric mechanically compliant, so that some deformation due to electrostatic forces is seen? Or are all bodies to be treated as mechanically compliant and deformable?
      The deformation of the dielectric in the second image you sent reminds me that there are options for the nodes at which electrostatic forces are applied, and this may have something to do with the deformation response you're seeing. I forget if or how these settings are established in the Piezo & MEMS ACT. In the MAPDL solver that calculates the results, the SOLID226/227 coupled field element type key option 4 is used to select the electrostatic force option (we typically set key option 4 = 2 as shown below):
      If the model uses key option 4 = 0, this might be the reason for the non-physical appearance of the deformation.
      Best Bill
    • Saumya
      Subscriber

I have tried both the options. When the Key option is 1 then the whole structure does not deform at all so I changed it to option 0.
      All the bodies are treated to be mechanically compliant and deformable. The objective of the analysis is to the deformation of dielectric along with the electrodes (which are stiffer than the dielectric material). But as you can see from the second image, the electrodes do not deform and the dielectric detaches from the surface and distortes.
      Regards Saumya
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.