Electronics

Electronics

Simulation of induction heating

• Borut Gregor Kuharič
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

as the title says I am trying to simulate induction heating. My process is basically the same as induction hardening. This means I have an AC coil (25kHz, 300V, 30A) and my product inside the coil that I want to heat. My product needs to be heated to around 200 deg celsius. This is also an axissymetrical problem so I can model it in 2D. I want to couple Ansys Maxwell with Ansys Mechanical to get a temperature gradient over time to see how fast the product heats.

My question would be if there is already a guide about a similar problem I could read it? As this is my first project simulating the EM problem I am very new to it. I have played a bit in the Maxwell 2D (Ansys Electronics Desktop) but I didn't manage to get meaningful results yet. Do I need to choose Magnetic Transient of Magnetid Eddy Currents?   

• Navya C
      Ansys Employee

Hi Borut,

You can look at the below help section on system coupling tutorials

Ansys Product Help

If you are a student or if you cannot access the above help link.

Please refer to the below forum discussion for help on how to access Ansys help.
      https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/3978/how-to-access-the-ansys-online-help

Regards,

Navya

• GLUO
      Ansys Employee

Hello Borut,

Eddycurrent solver is steady state solution, it only passes a constant loss to workbench. The temperature of the product inside the coil is increasing, affecting the conductivity of the product and the loss. I think transient Maxwell and 2-way coupling with transient thermal is more accurate here.

Regards,

GLUO

• Borut Gregor Kuharič
        Subscriber

Hello GLUO,

thank you for your response. Yes, I also thought transient Maxwell would be more suitable. Do you maybe know if there is any guide regarding modeling a coil in Ansys Maxwell? I tried it myself but I haven't found an option to specify a frequency parameter for the AC coil.  

Regards

Borut

• GLUO
          Ansys Employee

Hello Borut,

In transient solver, you could use a function of time in your excitation, such as sin(2*pi*50*time). You could find more materials on ANSYS learning Hub https://www.ansys.com/services/ansys-learning-hub. There are also some videos on Youtube from other users to create a transfomer with windings. You can search"transformer ansys maxwell".

Regards,

GLUO

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.