Fluids

Fluids

Simulation of water droplet impacting/falling on a stainless steel surface

• Amrit Kumar
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am currently working on a project where I have to study the impact of a single drop of a liquid on a solid surface. My study consists of both numerical/computational and experimental analysis. I am relatively new to ANSYS Fluent and have solved some small problems in order to understand how am I going to proceed. I have learnt something but unfortunately not enough to able to work on my project, which looks quite complicated to me. It would be really great if anybody can provide some direction, or some links where I can learn and proceed.

I will give some details of my problem for better understanding. 

I want to perform a simulation of a liquid drop (say, water) falling  on a solid surface (say, Stainless steel) by gravity from a certain height (or velocity). The surface is kept horizontal and the drop impacts/strikes the surface normally. The surrounding medium is air which is at the atmospheric pressure. The roughness of the steel surface can be taken as 0.25 microns. I want to observe the deformation of the drop with time on impact, the spreading diameter and the thickness of the film as it spreads on the surface.

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

Amrit, below are a few tutorials which would help you get started with what you're trying to do.

Impinging Water Droplets on Inclined Glass Surfaces

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

You will require a high resolution of the droplet as well as the near wall region. Explicit VOF will be most appropriate here. 

• Amrit Kumar
      Subscriber

Thank you Rahul.

These videos are quite useful for basic understanding. I will start with these and hope I will learn as I advance. I will get back here when I get stuck anywhere and get hopeless. Thanks...

• Amrit Kumar
      Subscriber

Thanks a lot for your suggestions @Amine. I will keep them in mind.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.