General Mechanical

General Mechanical

SIPs Modelling

• Alan Mardan
      Subscriber

Hello,

I would be grateful if somebody can assist. 

Can anybody be kind enough and guide me on how to model Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs). SIPs is basically a sandwich panel with EPS infill foam between OSB facing boards. I appreciate any threads that lead to the topic. One particular concern in mind is how to model the EPS infill foam and bond it to the OSB facings.

I need to create the panel from individual components and link them together to simulate the glue beween the foam (EPS or XPS) and the OSB face boards. These panels are normally integrated to form walls, roofs or floors. In order to improve their performance for bending, deflection etc., timber rebates are inserted at the panel joints. I don't know which element would be suitable to use for the glue to transfer the shear and stressess between the faceboards and infil foam.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your response.

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Hi

One way to model the connection between them is to share nodes/mesh so that means they are fully welded/bonded (see shared topology in spaceclaim or multi-body parts in design modeler). Another way is to model the glue layer (3D elements) if it is important for your study. There are possible other ways also. A search on the internet will perhaps also provide some informtaion and perhaps other users that have experience with this type of structures, can provided some guidance here.

If you are new to ansys and in order to get started see our many courses:

https://courses.ansys.com/index.php/courses/getting-started-with-ansys-mechanical/

All the best

Erik

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.