General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Skin versus 3D-solid body

• balsaidi
      Subscriber

Is it advisable to model a lattice structure as 3D body or shell structure? What is the best practice?

Attached, some images of the model that I am developing?

Thanks,

Bashir

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Bashir,

This really comes down to the type of analysis on your part? Is your part undergoing a lot of bending phenomenon and is the structure really thin?

So if your part is really thin and the effect of stresses perpendicular to the structure is not important for your analysis. You might as well use shell structures due to the computational and convergence advantages that they offer.

You might find this article insightful.

Regards,

Sandeep

• balsaidi
      Subscriber

Dear Sandeep,

My wing model 's dimensions are 540 mm x 260 mm. I wrapped skin of 5 mm around the wing model and morphed them for about a maximum out-of plane deformation of 32 mm. Do you think it is suitable to use skin in this case rather than 3-D body? I am looking for more accurate results rather than faster running time.  

Thanks for help,

Bashir

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Bashir,

It sounds like you have a lot of out of plane deformation. I would recommend you to use solid elements then. The thing is when using solid elements you might run into element distortion issues, so make sure at least the wrapped skin has a good quality mesh, check the statistics once you've meshed your body.

Regards,

Sandeep

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.