General Mechanical

General Mechanical

sliding pivot connection

• Machin_waz
      Subscriber

Hello, I would like to put a sliding pivot link between the parts. The part 2 is fixed (master part) and the parts 1 and 3 are in sliding pivot. How can I do it ?

Thanks 

• SaiD
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

Could you explain what exactly you mean by a "sliding pivot" link? It seems to be similar to a cylindrical joint. In  a cylindrical joint between 1 and 2, assuming z-direction is normal to the screen, 1 can rotate about z-axis and translate along z-axis, with respect to 2 (assuming 2 is fixed). Is this the behavior you want to simulate?

If yes, then you can set up "Cylindrical Joint" Connection between the respective parts. In Ansys Help for Mechanical, you can find this information under Setting Connections > Joints > Joint Types > Cylindrical Joint.

Hope this helps.

• Machin_waz
      Subscriber

@Said,

thanks for your feedback. 

Yes indeed it is cylindrical joint. if we look at the schematic above, part 2 is fixed and part 1 and 3 are in cylindrical connection. I have implemented this on Ansys, but it does not allow me to run the calculation. I do a calculation that has 3 steps, 

• SaiD
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

Could you elaborate your problem a bit more? What do you mean by "it does not allow me to run the calculation"? Does the simulation start and stop due to some error? Or does it not start at all?

In either case, you should be getting some error message.

In your image, I see a question mark next to "Static Structural", so I suspect some value/condition that is required to start the simulation is not defined. Could you expand each of the folders under "Static Structural" and see if there's a question mark next to it? Also check the details of Analysis Settings. Any required value that is missing should be highlighted in yellow in the respective "Details" window.

• Machin_waz
      Subscriber

@Said, 

the problem was that I was using cyclic symmetry. This one is not compatible with the joints

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.