General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Solid-Shell Face to Face Contact

• mert.dedebeyoglu
      Subscriber

How can i properly define contact between solid and shell faces. I am trying to apply bonded contact with "MPC" and "Distributed,All direction" config. However, it gives different results than solid-solid contact of the same model.

How can i get the same results with solid-solid and solid-shell face to face contacts.

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Hi Can you describe what results you mean and compare – show the comparison, and explain for instance if it is global overall results (say deflection) or local stress results at the contact, that are compared. With this information then perhaps someone can provide some help.

All the best

Erik

• mert.dedebeyoglu
      Subscriber

Hi, I am comparing Von. Misses stress results.

Stress states are different in solid-solid and solid-shell version. The contact is face to face. 

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Hi

One will not get the same stress since one is a shell and solid and the other a solid and a solid. Shells have deifferent dof and fe formulation than solid 3D elements.

All the best

Erik

• mert.dedebeyoglu
      Subscriber

Hi, 

Thanx for your reply. My purpose is simplifying the geometry by using the shell elements. It is known that compressive stresses are not calculated in shell elements, this may be a reason. 

So, can we say that, using shell elements for face-face bonded contact is not suitable ?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.