Fluids

Fluids

Solids in the domain of fluent icing

• omalleyb
      Subscriber

Hi all,

I'm trying to simulate ice formation using the fluent icing package in Ansys 2022R2 and get the following error when I begin the particle simulation.

image.png

The error only occurs when I have multiple cell zones within the domain (fluid and solid) . When I run the same simulation with a single cell zone (just fluid) it works fine. I've also tried to keep the mesh as simple as possible, I've ensured matching interface at the boundary between the different zones and have a uniform element size throughout the domain (0.25 mm). Also, the domain I've been debugging with is a cylinder with a 7 mm outer diameter and an inner diameter of 4 mm. For the simulation I use the ansys recommended turbulence model (k-w with viscous heating and turbo production limiter).

Additional simulation information: I have symmetry on the left and right of the domain and adiabatic stationary walls on the top and bottom. The inlet is a velocity inlet at 2 m/s and the outlet is a pressure outlet at 0 Pa gauge. I've ran into this using a 20 degree temperature delta (the inner wall of the solid set to 253.15 K and the inlet and outlet air set to 273.15 K). I've tried this with both the baseline particle settings (droplets) and with pure vapor (RH = 85).

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

• RK
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

We are not able to view the image. Can you please re-insert the image? Thanks! 

• omalleyb
        Subscriber

Hi,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I've re-inserted the image below, can you see it now?

error message received when running fluent icing with a solid in the domain

• Shoaib Shah
      Ansys Employee

Hi 

If you are trying to run CHT3D (Conduction) in fluent icing, this is currently not supported in 22r2. In 23R1, CHT3D solid + air domain will be a beta feature that you can try out. Hopefully that helps.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.