3D Design

3D Design

SolidWorks Model failing to mesh in Ansys

• Lovelord
      Subscriber
      I have modeled a wind turbine blade in SolidWorks from standard airfoil coordinates, for simulation in Ansys. I?m using the multiple reference frame capability to generate an inertial and rotating domain for my simulation. The wind turbine blade is a void in the rotating domain. nThe problem is I?m failing to mesh the rotating domain with the turbine blade void and the error messages indicate that there is a problem in the void which translates to the blade itself nTo verify and troubleshoot i meshed the blade directly and seems like it?s distorted on the edges of the suction side and indicating that one of the surface that makes half of the pressure and suction side is causing the meshing failure nHowever I imported the geometry as a .iges and . step file and attempted meshing but to no avail. When viewed from Design Modeller, all the surfaces seem to be present but only get distorted and lose other elements in meshing. I presume maybe that?s why the void in the domain is failing to be meshed?nWhat could be the problem? Could you please assistnNis
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      Are you using Design Modeler and Ansys Meshing? nThis could be due to geometry problem or due to wrong mesh sizing. Can you please check following? nPlease check geometry in SpaceClaim. Select geometry in structure tree --> Use right click --> Select Check Geometry. The geometry should be error free to proceed. If geometry has any errors, please modify/recreate geometry at those places.nIf geometry is error free, then please select 'CFD' as Physics Preference in meshing. nPlease give body/face/edge sizing so that mesh has sufficient mesh density and resolve important features. nFor the error, please use right click on the error and click on 'problematic geometry'. This will highlight geometry which is failing to mesh. You will need to modify geometry at this location or change mesh sizing. nIf your meshing has special controls like periodicity, please check if those are correctly defined. nRegards,nKeyurnHow to access Ansys Online Help DocumentnHow to show full resolution imagenGuidelines on the Student CommunitynHow to use Google to search within Ansys Student Communityn
    • Lovelord
      Subscriber
      Hie KeyurnYes I used design modeller to create the domains (Non-rotating domain created by subtracting the rotating smaller domain to create a rotating void in the non rotating domain. For the rotating domain I subtracted the blade geometry from SolidWorks from the non rotating smaller domain to create a blade void)nI managed to mesh the non-rotating but this problem is on the rotating domain with a blade void nI checked the geometry in SpaceClaim and it has no errors. I proceeded to meshing and selected CFD as physics preference. For the other options you suggested kindly confirm the followingn3..Confirm by body/face/edge sizing you mean I should specify element size for meshing the geometry? Also my geometry is 6.55 m long and 1 m thick. The blade void inside is 6 m long with and very thin . What element size do you suggest I use?n4..The error is being picked on one surface of the blade. Is there any way to rectify the problem without redesigning the blade because it?s drawn from standard airfoil coordinates and changing it will affect my simulation resultsn5 Periodicity is correctly defined nRegards nLovelord
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
    • Lovelord
      Subscriber
      Thank younnThe problem is solvedn
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.