General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Solver engine convergence error

• tahm
      Subscriber

I am getting this error message. How to resolve?

The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.  Please see the Troubleshooting section of the Help System for more information.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

As ANSYS Staff, we can not download attachments. Please insert images using insert image functionality. 

• tahm
      Subscriber

Here are some screenshots

• tahm
      Subscriber

I was doing a 2D plane strain analysis of soil element

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Increase the Initial and Minimum Substeps to 100.

Insert a command object

NEQIT,50

This will tell the solver to keep going for 50 iterations instead of doing a bisection or stopping after 26 iterations.

• tahm
      Subscriber

Still I am getting the error

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You have to improve the element shape where the solver is unable to obtain a force equilibrium and fails to converge.

You can find out where that is by typing a 4 in the field called Newton-Raphson Residuals under the Solution Information Folder.  Take out the NEQIT command. Solve. When if fails to converge, you will have 4 plots under the Solution Information folder. The plot is the Newton-Raphson Force Residual plot. The Maximum value on this plot is where you need better elements.

I already know that it will be in the interior corner.  If you put a small radius in that corner instead of a sharp interior corner, that will help it converge.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.