General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Solver Pivot Error in Workbench Static Structural-Mechanical

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hello,

I have a spiral design in the Workbench Static Structural Mechanical model which I want to deform the spiral geometry by applying force and save the deformed geometry as a separate file for further analysis in HFSS. When I apply the force (in red) on the top face with the side 4 faces fixed support (in blue), it gives me a solver pivot error. I have attached pictures below.

I would really appreciate your help with this.

Thank you, 

• Akshay Maniyar
      Ansys Employee

Hi Sneh,

Model looks perfectlly constrained, and it does not have any contact, so it should not be because of unconstrained model. As per the other warning messages, it looks like you have only one element acoss thickness. Can you try remeshing the model with finer mesh and try running the model?

Thanks,

Akshay Maniyar

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi Akshay,

I changed the mesh size (made is smaller) and ran the model again. It worked.

Thank you,

Sneh

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi Akshay,

So I changed my spiral design and it's much smaller now. I changed the mesh sizing to avoid solver errors however, now I am getting this error. I would really appreciate your help with this error.

Picture 1: Shows the geometry with the error

Picture 2: Shows the geometry mesh and mesh size (element size =0.01)

Thank you,

• Akshay Maniyar
      Ansys Employee

Hi Sneh,

The model is very thin and the load value is quite high, may be because of that you are getting the above error. As it is very thin, have tried using shell elements insted of solid elements? Shell elements are recommended for thin parts as they will portray the bending behavior quite accurately with much fewer elements than their solid-mesh counterparts.

Thank you,

Akshay Maniyar

How to access Ansys help links

Guidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forum

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi Akshay,

Would I still get a proper geometry if I use shell elements for the spiral(1 micrometer thickness) since I want to use it for further analysis in HFSS for EM analysis?

Thanks,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.