Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Some boundaries of protected topologies have been defeatured. see the affected edges.

• nuqman918
      Subscriber

I am conducting a study to differentiate between clean airfoil and airfoil fitted with vortex generator. I have inserted face sizing mesh on the airfoil surface but these warnings pop up Before these, the edge sizing also show warning regarding the defeaturing, but I read from previous discussion said that I can ignore it because sometimes it will not affect the results. . Can someone explain to me what is the meaning of this warning and how to fix them. 

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Ansys Meshing as an option to defeature sizes lower than a threshold you are specifying. Based on the input, Meshing will attempt to remove some of these edges and by doing this, it will not have to worry about these meshing them anymore. 

If you want to test this, please reduce the defeature size to a number smaller than your smallest edge in the domain and remesh. Please let us know your findings here.

Thanks.

Karthik

• nuqman918
      Subscriber

Massive thanks for your advice Mr. Karthik. I reduced the defeature size to a number of my smallest edge and the mesh is fine. Afterwards, I want to proceed into fluent, unfortunately this error occur.

Ansys.Fluent.Cortex.CortexCommandFailedException: An error occured in FLUENT while applying case and settings informatins.

An error occured in FLUENT while applying case and settings informatins.

at Ansys.Fluent.Cortex.CortexCommunicator.SendMessage(String msg, String msgKey, String errorMessage, Boolean waitForReply)

at Ansys.Fluent.FluentCommunicator.UpdateSetupInfo(Dictionary`2 info)

at Ansys.Fluent.Data.SetupData.ReadCaseModelInfo(IFullContext context)

I didn't know what is the root problem because fluent cannot generate my project. Here I attached my meshing process and the problem message. Please let me know how to solve this problem. 

Thank You.

Nuqman.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Are there any messages in the Meshing tool? The last but one image suggests it's trying to mesh rather than it was successful. 

• nuqman918
      Subscriber

Thank you for your intention, Mr. Rwoolhou!

At first, I set element size at 0.15m and Sizing max size at 0.15m while others at default. It showed this message :

A software execution error occurred inside the mesher.  The process suffered an unhandled exception or ran out of usable memory.

Then, I generated mesh using default setting except defeature size I reduced to 2.5e-004m and it succeed. Afterwards, the meshing procedure that were shown on the previous post was taken (edge sizing, inflation, face sizing). None of them showed any warning messages until I wanted to open in Fluent.

Today, I restarted this study. I set the element size at 0.15m and Sizing max size at 0.15m again with defeature size at 2.5e-004m. Then, the same warning showed:  

A software execution error occurred inside the mesher.  The process suffered an unhandled exception or ran out of usable memory.

Please let me know anything regarding this problem.

Thank You,

Nuqman.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

It sounds like you're running out memory allocation. Increase the defeaturing size and min cell size to see if you can transfer the mesh and then see why/what features you're missing. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.