Fluids

Fluids

Source Terms due to Mass Transfer

Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling with a question about mass source term in multiphase flow during consulting the Fluent Help. There are some describes like these:

So,my question is ,for the VOF model, primary phase is one phase of p or q, whether the eqution above is established?

Thank you!

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Hi, 

Its when you have both models on ie vof and species. 

If you have only vof then eliminate species in the above description.  In case a particular phase does not have a mixture material associated with it, the mass transfer will be with the bulk phase.

Regards,

Keyur

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Also, please like the answers which have helped you move forward and in the end, once your issue is resolved, please mark the most appropriate solution (most useful advice) as 'Is Solution'. This will help others who are using this thread to find answers to similar questions.

Subscriber

Thanks for your reply, what's the meaning of "the mass transfer will be with the bulk phase"? Could the bulk phase  be ragard as the primary phase in single VOF model?

Regards

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

It does not depend on the primary or secondary phases as described in the documentation. mptoq is the mass transfer from p phase to q phase. This direction is positive.

Subscriber

Hello Amine, thanks for your explanation. By the way, how does the VOF method guarantee mass conservation?

Regards

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Through the solution of the transport equations of the secondary phases and the compatibility condition

Subscriber

Excuse me, I can't understand the meaning of conpatibility condition. Please provide more details. Thank you.

Best wishes

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Sum of all volume fractions needs to be equal to one

Subscriber

Thank you.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.