Photonics

Photonics

Source wavelength

• afshiin.a
      Subscriber
      Hello. 
      I have a question about defining wavelength in the source. When we applied wavelength start and stop values equal to 260 nm and 2000 nm, we saw that the spectrum vs. wavelength curve is asymmetric and is shown as a stretched form (picture 1). While considering wavelength start and stop values equal to 1500 nm and 1600 nm (picture 2), the spectrum vs. wavelength curve is approximately symmetric.

I want to know what phenomenon changes the spectrum vs. wavelength curve behavior by changing wavelength start and stop. 
      Thank you

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

By default, the source spectrum vs frequency uses Gaussian shape, so for large bandwidth the spectrum vs wavelength is not a gaussian, due to the inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency.

When the bandwidth is small, the an-symmetry is not that obvious.

A side note: the spectrum shape is not important in linear simulation, since thefrequency-domain results are alwasy normalized witht the source spectrum, which removes the shape of the source spectrum. Please refer

https://optics.ansys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034394234-Understanding-frequency-domain-CW-normalization

I hope this helps.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.