3D Design

3D Design

[SpaceClaim] Cannot import NX .prt files

• asharpe2967
      Subscriber

As a student user, I decided to go with @peteroznewman's advice on using SpaceClaim as an intermediary CAD interface.

When I try to open an NX .prt file in SpaceClaim 2021R1, the memory usage goes up linearly and perpetually until a full system crash occurs. I don't have the option of using STEP files instead because NX Student Version cannot export .stp files.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      What version of NX are you using?
      Does the Student version of NX export Parasolid?
    • asharpe2967
      Subscriber
      Its Student Edition 1953 and I can't find anything that tells me if it's from the standard product line. The only export options are STL, 3MF, IFC, OBJ, and ACIS.
    • asharpe2967
      Subscriber
      It's Student Edition 1953 and I can't find anything that tells me if it's from the standard product line. The only export options are STL, 3MF, IFC, OBJ, and ACIS.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Okay, well at least ACIS is a useful neutral file for exporting solid models. I'm surprised Parasolid isn't in the list as my understanding was that was the kernel inside the NX software.
    • asharpe2967
      Subscriber
      And as I now make the attempt to export as ACIS, I'm told there's no license for it.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Oh well, it seems like both of the free ANSYS and the free NX software are removing the ability to export much of anything useful outside of their platforms.
      If you want to put the NX .prt file inside a .rar file format and attach it to your reply, maybe someone has a full version of NX and can export a Parasolid for you.
      Also put the .STL file in a .rar file and attach that too, because SpaceClaim can definitely import that, but there is a tremendous loss if quality in the process.
    • asharpe2967
      Subscriber
      I'm looking at alternatively using Creo's Student version now, which I'm equally comfortable with. The list of exportable file types there is MUCH longer. Plus, SpaceClaim seems to be playing nicely with creo .prt files
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.