Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Discuss installation & licensing of our Ansys Teaching and Research products

SpaceClaim – unable to cut body

TAGGED: 

• Mario Liebermann
      Subscriber

Hi Ansys forum,

one of our students working on a projekt is trying to use Ansys fluent to simulate the flow of a liquid within a textile.

Therefore he prepared a CAD-model of the textile and tried to add the fluid region in SpaceClaim using the pull tool.
      After creating the fluid body he tried to cut all the textile rovings out of the fluid body.
      This worked great for most of the textile body's but failed for some of them. Returning the error unable to cut body.
      He is using Ansys Space Claim 2022 R2 teaching.

I couldn't figure out why this keeps happening so I'm asking here for help.

We tried: Checking the geometry --> no errors

diffrent orders of cutting --> results in diffrent rovings beeing unable to cut (sometimes only 1 was problematic, somtimes up to 3)

rovings with and without contact --> no contact seems to improve the results.

and a couple more things i can't remember right now.

Pic. 1: Fluid body with the rovings inside (not visible --> set to enhanced shaded.)

Pic 2 : Fluid body graphics set to hidden lines --> the missing rovings are the ones making problems see pic 3 to how it is supposed to look

Pic. 3: Fluid body set to show hidden lines the 3 rovings marked as red can't be cut and are enabled in the geometry tree.

Can someone tell me what the problem ist? Or at least how I (my student) can avoid this?

Thank you for your attention.

If you have any questions please ask me and I will provide as much information as I have.

Looking forward to your help!

Sincerely

Mario

• Sampat Kumar
      Ansys Employee

Hi Mario Liebermann, 
      Will you please tell me if it is a 2D model or a 3D model? Will you please check the fluid body creation again? 
      I have attached the video and Asys helped documents link for the volume extraction and split of the geometry. This might help you to solve this issue. 

Volume Extract Tool (ansys.com)

Discovery SpaceClaim: Model Prep for CAE & MFG - Manual Fluid Body Creation - Ansys Knowledge

Discovery SpaceClaim: Model Prep for CAE & MFG - Splitting and Imprinting Faces - Ansys Knowledge

Regards, 
      Sampat

• Mario Liebermann
      Subscriber

Hi Sampat,

thank you verry much for your answer.

It is a 3D model, I just thought it is easier to explain with the top down view.

My process differs slightly from the tutorial.

I started with a scetch on the Y-Z-plane (x=0) and snapped the rectangle the intersections of the other planes. Then I used the pull tool with the up to funktion and clicked on the other Y-Z-plane in x direction. As further option I choose to not merge the body's.

My next step is to try the process following the tutorial step by step.

I will comment if that was the solution!

• Mario Liebermann
      Subscriber

Hi Sampat,

so after a couple tries (one by me, some more by my student) we concluded that your tips indeed smoothend the process.

First of all the calculating process of Ansys is faster when pulling the face if it is part of the new component. Secondly with this change only one of the rovings is not beeing cut (repeatedly over the various tries). And it is always the same roving. Sadly I still don’t understand why this roving can’t be cut. First picture shows the textile mesh with the red marked roving beeing the one that isn’t cut. Picture 2 shows the fluid in transparent after all bodys have been cut.

Do you or anybody else have an idea on how to further more avoid this?

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Mario

• Sampat Kumar
      Ansys Employee

Hi Mario, 
      Thanks for the information. This is difficult to understand why you are facing the issue with one fluid body without a file. Ansys employees are not allowed to handle any external files or link. I recommend some following points that you can verify. 
      1. Please use the volume extraction method to make the fluid body. 
      2. There might be a chance that there would be line contact between the two parts; that’s why you are not able to use the cut operations in this geometry. I would recommend that you try to move one body slightly so that they can interact with each other, and then perform the cut operation.

Please check and let me know. 

Regards, 
      Sampat

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.