General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Spring and Damper on a structure in AQWA

• Medi
      Subscriber

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to model a linear connection with spring - damper characteristics to a structure in AQWA? As far as I am concerned, we can use cable with stiffness, but there is no option to define damping.

Thanks,

• Ingrid Machecler
      Ansys Employee
      Hello Medi,
      could you please tell us more about what you are trying to model?
      In the meantime, if you want to model the damping that acts in extension, you can use the external user force. You have some examples and a README in your installation, under the aqwa\utils folder. You can start the server as a pre-solve command (see section 5.8.1 of the Aqwa User's manual).
      Kind regards Ingrid
    • Medi
      Subscriber
      Dear Ingrid,
      A schematic of what I mean is here. I want to connect two bodies (one floated and the other submerged) with a connection that have stiffness and damping characteristics. Is it possible in AQWA?
      Thanks
    • Ingrid Machecler
      Ansys Employee
      Hello Medi,
      the external user force (in your installation directory) is the way forward. Look at the examples provided. This requires a bit of simple python coding though.
      Your spring force is proportional to the elongation (you have access to the position) and your damping force is proportional to the velocity (which you also have access to).
      Kind regards Ingrid
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.