General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Starting with rough mesh and do several simulations with different specific regions with fine mesh

• Bart_Aerts
      Subscriber

Would it be a good way to be able to simulate a bigger assembly by simulating the total assembly with a rough mesh and run the simulation several times but each time with another connection region(s) with a finer mesh? This way I hope I can see the final stresses more detailed but still be able to do these simulations with a small amount of RAM memory.

Or would this rough mesh give a bad overal result to start with?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

• Akshay Maniyar
      Ansys Employee

I think you are talking about submodeling. The submodel is an independent, more finely meshed model of a region of interest within the initial model.
      You can check the link of How to video from Ansys experts.
      regards amaniyar
    • Bart_Aerts
      Subscriber
      Thank you very much for the solution.
      I've watched the movie, but still am stuck with one question:
      Can I just use a small part of the total assembly as a submodel? Does it automatically know where it is positioned in the full (coarse) model even if I change small things within this submodel like adding rounding etc. ?
    • Akshay Maniyar
      Ansys Employee

Yes, you can use small part of big assembly as a submodel. Just you have to be careful while you decide the cut boundaries(St. Venant's principle).
      It takes reference as global coordinate system to know position and applying displacements at cut boundaries. So, you can add fillets in submodel, just it should be away from your defined cut boundaries.
      Regards amaniyar
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.