Electronics

Electronics

Static magnetic field’s effect on current carrying conductor

• Saransh
      Subscriber

Hi All,

I am trying to simulate Hall Effect in Maxwell by applying static magnetic field to a current carrying copper bar. However, I am getting a problem as follows:

The current carrying conductor is copper and I have 1mA of current going in and out of this bar through the two ends. To apply the magnetic field, I am creating a box around this bar and putting appropriate boundary conditions on it to have the desired magnetic field in the required direction (by using tangential H field boundary conditions). When I try to simulate this, I get an error - Current leak to the air. I thought maybe I'm not putting the insulating boundaries around the copper bar so it might be leaking current into the air. I put insulating boundaries around the bar but still I'm getting the same error.

Can somebody please help?

Thanks so much in advance

• mgardner
      Subscriber

From the error, it sounds like Maxwell is having trouble closing the current path.  Your current path should either form a closed loop or begin and end at the boundaries of your region.  

• Saransh
      Subscriber

Thanks for your response.

The current path doesn't form a close loop but it has an incoming and outgoing terminal with same amount of current. What's more peculiar is that when I remove all the magnetic boundaries, it simulates the structure without any error (meaning that the current path on its own is fine), its only when I have the magnetic boundary conditions that I get the 'current leak into the air' problem. I think its some interaction between the tangential boundary conditions and the current boundary conditions during simulation. It gives all checks post validations, its only during the simulation that the current leakage error is reported.

I don't  know how to fix this

• Saransh
      Subscriber

Making a loop for the current path helps and doesn't need insulating boundaries for the conductor. Thanks so much for your help!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.