General Mechanical

General Mechanical

“Static Structural” simulation

    • Mattia Barattieri Rizzoli
      Subscriber

      Hi,

      I was trying to run a Static Structural simulation on a flap and it kept giving me either an "Unkwon Error" message or an improbable result every time I tried to start the simulation. I tried resetting the connections between the various parts, cheking if the materials I selected were correct and even creating a new system with different designs multiple times, but with no success.

      Does anybody have a suggestion on how I could try solving this problem?

      Thanks.

    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber

      Getting a result, even an improbable one, is better than getting an Unknown Error.  What change did you make to flip between these two outcomes?

      An incremental approach is to break the full model into smaller pieces. For example, suppose the full model is made up of 20 parts, and those parts are grouped into 4 subassemblies that are connected with bolts to a base part. In Workbench, under the Components section of the Toolbox, drag out a Mechanical Model and name that Assy1. Attach the geometry file (that should be organized with 4 subassemblies), and suppress 3 assemblies so you can build this first model with just the base part and assy1.  Drag and drop a Static Structural on this Assy1 Mechanical Model. Now you can support the base part and apply loads to interfaces on assy1. Get that model working.

      Next drag out another Mechanical Model. Import the geometry of assy2 and get that meshed and connected internally. Drag and drop a Static Structural onto Assy2 and add some supports and loads to just that to make sure it is working.

      Drag out another Mechanical Model and link the Model cells of Assy1 and Assy2 to it. Drag and drop a Static Structural model onto this Mechanical Model.

      Continue adding each Assy and testing it out before linking it to the Full Model where the connections between them are defined.  In this way, you establish assemblies that solve and give reasonable results. 

      • Mattia Barattieri Rizzoli
        Subscriber

        Thank you for your andvice, it was very helpful; I'll be sure to try this approach. As to answer the question about what is the difference between the settings that led to the different outcomes in the project, I tried changing the material of an internal component (Alluminum gave Unkwon Error while Alluminum Alloy gave a Result).

        Thank you again for your reply.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.