Fluids

Fluids

Steady state analysis of a fluid heating in a tank

• MTayyab
      Subscriber

hi,

i am trying to do a thermal analysis. There is a 6m tall and 3 m in diameter fluid tank. There is a heating element inserted inside the tank from the side. The fluid inside is palm oil. The heat input is 7500w/m2 from the surface of the heater. To simplify i have not modeled the heating element instead Heat flux as a boundary condition is applied on the heater wall. But when i solve the problem the heat does not seem to propagate outwards from the heater. below is the center cut plane of the fluid volume:

I am not sure if i am doing it right because the fluid is not flowing it is just there. I think this is a natural convection problem but doesn't seem to work for me!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

• Konstantine Kourbatski
      Ansys Employee
      First of all, is it transient or steady-state? Further suggestions will be based on the answer to this question. n
    • Konstantine Kourbatski
      Ansys Employee
      Actually, I see it's steady state, so please disregard my previous note. My follow up questions are:n1) has the solution converged (please post a picture of the residuals)?n2) are you running pseudo-transient or traditional iterative?nA non-convergence or slow convergence of the energy can be a potential culprit. n
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.