General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Strain-Stress curve

• balsaidi
      Subscriber

I am trying to simulate a stress-strain curve for simple cantilever beam. Why I am unable to achieve the plastic region? Changed the material type but the curve still linear! 

Thanks,

Bashir

• mekafime
      Subscriber

Hi, do you activate "large deflections on" in Analysis Settings?

• balsaidi
      Subscriber

Hello Mekafime,

Yes I did turned large deformation on.

Regards,

Bashir

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Bashir,

Did you add Bilinear Kinematic Hardening from the Plasticity section of Engineering Data to your material?

Regards,

Peter

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi Bashir,

Alternatively, you can also use "Structural Steel NL" from Engineering Data Sources.

Regards,

Sandeep

• balsaidi
      Subscriber

Thanks Peter and Sandeep,

I am using Polyethylene plastic in my research. Is there any way that I can achieve the S.S. curve computationally?  I am looking to identify the elastic region of Polyethylene. 

Regards,

Bashir

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

I don't quite understand why? Elastic properties are easily available online/from engineering data just plot it based on the youngs modulus and yield stress?

If you want to look at it computationally/back calculate, use a single (unit) element model and subject it to uni-axial displacement by constraining the 3 faces on the sides in x, y an z directions as needed to properly constrain all rigid body motions. Get the force-displacement or stress-strain curves from that to verify?

Regards,

Sandeep

Best Practices to post on the Student Community

• balsaidi
      Subscriber

Sandeep,

Do you mean deriving S.S. curve from nominal stress? I did it for shear stress test, not sure if I did it right but still unable to define the end of elastic region! 

I would be grateful if you have something to share with me regarding the nominal stress testing method?

Regards,

Bashir

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Bashir,

Please see this post by Peter.

EDITED: Link Changed

Regards,

Sandeep

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.