General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Stress component perpendicular to a surface

• Ulvi
      Subscriber

How to define primary stress component perpendicular to the shown surface along the given edge

I can create user defined stress component along the edge as below but I can only use built-in stress components. I am not sure how to work out stress perpendicular to the required surface

• Ulvi
      Subscriber

Any suggestions please?

• Rohith Patchigolla
      Ansys Employee

Hi Ulvi, 

I don't think there is any direct option for this. 

There is one workaround, if the material assigned for the body is isotropic. You can use "Element Orientation" feature (RMB on Geometry --> Element Orientation) to orient the element coordinate system (ESYS) of the solid elements such that their Z axis (for example) is always normal to the surface and X axis is always tangential to the edge (which you used for the path result for example). 

With this set up, you can re-solve the model and check the stress results normal to the surface, i.e. Normal stress in Z direction of Element coordinate system. So, change the coordinate system in the details of the result from "Global Coordinate system" to "Solution coordinate system" to display the results in Element coordinate system (which are oriented as described above). 

Please try this and let me know if this helps. 

Best regards,

Rohith

• Ulvi
      Subscriber

Thanks Rohith, I will try it and let you know

• Ulvi
      Subscriber

Hi Rohith,

This worked. Now I have to reanalyse one model 3 times as I have 3 different bodies in one model that I want extract stress field from. Is it possibly to code in in workbench so I don't have to run the model many times? Especially, when I am doing parametric analysis.

Thanks

Ulvi

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.