General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Stress function over an edge

• EugenioMuttio
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I have this case study in which I want to test several meshes to this "plate with a hole model". I want to impose a stress state on the boundaries which I obtain by tabular information, but I only managed to impose the normal stress. 

Is there a way to impose stress components (X, Y) in the same way using tabular information?

Thanks!Stress function

• Wenlong
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

I guess "line pressure" can work as the stress_xx, and pressure can work as stress_yy in your case? (Reference for line pressure: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v201/en/wb_sim/ds_Line_Pressure_Loads.html)

Regards,

Wenlong

Useful Links

• EugenioMuttio
      Subscriber

Hello Wenlong,

Thank you very much for your reply, line pressure is a good idea as I need to apply shear stress, but as my problem is 2D I guess I can't use this option. Do you know if there is a way to use it for 2D cases?

Regards,

Eugenio

• Wenlong
      Ansys Employee

Hi Eugenio,

Yes, line pressure is only available in 3D. The only way I can think of is to do an integration and convert stress to force, then apply nodal force to the top edge. Unlike force, nodal force allows you to define space-dependent magnitude.

Regards,

Wenlong

• EugenioMuttio
      Subscriber

Thank you Wenlong,

At the end, I decided to use a displacement field for this problem as the line pressure is not defined in 2D. But if I will model in 3D, I will use it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.