General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Stress variation in soil

• VinayN
      Subscriber

I have tried to model a soil sample pressed upon by a plate. I have used displacement support on plate to push it into soil by 10mm. Sides of soil are constrained by friction less support, bottom face is fixed support. after analysis I don't see any variation of stress in soil below the plate as it gets pushed in.

I think there should be a variation, shouldn't it ? 

I'll attach few post solution pictures to get an idea.

Thank You

directional deformationEquivalent stress

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

On the Stress plot, on the legend, double click on the number below the largest number, the 11.941, and type a small number like 1.0 or even smaller. You can also grab the line between red and orange and drag it down and the colors will rescale.

• VinayN
      Subscriber

Sir !! 

You are like ANSYS wizard !!

Mind posting videos of basic stuff, for noobs like me, on youtube !!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0cffQ4Ccz5MA6LefcdBPZg/videos?view_as=subscriber
    • shafee
      Subscriber

that means changing the results? . I am having the same problem for stresses . I am doing the analysis of flexible pavement where wheel load is acted upon a contact area. But the stresses are showing only for the contact area. Is it like the load is not transferred to the lower layers of soil?. For deformation, it is showing correct.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Changing the values in the legend of the plot does not change the result, it only changes how values in the result are mapped to a color.

You should grab the line between red and orange on the legend and drag it down till the number next to it is < 0.5 to reveal more of the detail in the result that is below 0.5 MPa. In other words, remap the colors so that instead of all stress values between 0 and 0.5 MPa being assigned to one color, blue, now they can be spread over 8 colors, blue to orange.

• VinayN
      Subscriber

Stress variation in soil only

peteroznewman is wizard at this !!

But I tried this, along with peter's suggestion, try to evaluate stresses only in the soil mass i.e. when you are calculating equivalent stress -> don't choose        "all bodies" instead choose only soil mass. This will give to distribution of stress only in soil mass not in all bodies. In your case I see a line, probably that is applying force. If you include all bodies stress on that line may be high this will scale down stresses in your soil mass which takes in lesser stresses.

Hope that helps.

• shafee
      Subscriber

thank you sir...!!

• shafee
      Subscriber

thank you sir...!!

• shafee
      Subscriber

I want to use solid45 element, but it is automatically using solid186. What is the command for using solid45 element?

• VinayN
      Subscriber

Sorry !

I am noob at this. Create a new discussion, someone might help you.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.