General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Structural Analysis of multibody/multimaterials cylinder

• MMS1148
      Subscriber

I am doing static structural analysis on a cylinder. Infact they are multiple cylinders in one big cylinder. Internal pressure is 0.2 Mpa and I am using cyliderical support (2D-Analysis) and Displacement support (3D analysis). I created the multi body part/cylinder by add frozen and add material process so that I can assign different materials to every cyinder. However, results are very confusing. The stresses are only on the cylinder where I have applied internal pressure of 0.2 MPa and rest of the cylinders are under no stress. Why is that so? am I doing something wrong? For convenience screenshots2D screen shot 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Either post a lot more screen shots to show every detail of your model, or create an Archive and attach it after you post your reply.

• MMS1148
      Subscriber

Archived files are attached. Thank you

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

It's not true that only one cylinder has stress and the others have no stress. They have a very low stress.
      That's because the inner material has E = 35,000 MPa while the next material has E = 2.4 MPa

You are using Contact to connect the bodies.
      Another way is to pick the bodies in DM and Form New Part
      to use Shared Topology and not have any contact.

• MMS1148
      Subscriber

Thank you for the reply. Appreciated. I have selected all the bodies and made it 1 part by using shared topology. So, the number of edges have decreased. However I am not able to get these colored bands as in your screen shot. Do I need to do something in the mechanical with the connections (after I have shared the topology)?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Right mouse click on the Legend and select Logarithmic and it will rescale the colors.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.