General Mechanical

General Mechanical

structural analysis of sheet molding compound

• saurabhexa
      Subscriber

hi i wanted to perform structural analysis on sheet molding compound which is a composite which consists of chopped strand of glass/carbon fibre and polyester as matrix material how do i go about this the material is not available in material library.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Cut samples of this material from the sheet in the standard tensile test shape.

Cut multiple samples and cut them in two orthogonal directions, let's call them X and Y.

Get all the samples tested in a tensile testing machine.

The report will provide you with the average Young's Modulus and Poisson's Ratio for each direction.

You might also get a compressive test of the material through the thickness, Z.

If all the values of E are similar, you can just use Isotropic Elasticity in a new material definition.

If the values of E are significantly different in the different directions, then use Orthotropic Elasticity.

• saurabhexa
      Subscriber

is it possible for me to model the chopped glass fiber since it is anisotropic material won't there not be repetivity in the results of different sample the method of manufacturing is compression molding please can u guide me for this.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

If you don't want to obtain material properties through tensile test data, which is the most accurate, you can use material manufacturer's data from their website.

Do not waste your time trying to model the chopped glass fiber in the resin matrix. Even if you make a model, how will you validate it?  Through tensile test data!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.