General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Structural analysis of windturbine blade

• UnriseZ
      Subscriber

Hey everyone,

Im new into ansys static structural. I got a question about boundaries for my analysis. I need to get stresses of blades rotating with 800 rpm. I wanted to do it by adding rotational acceleration about axis with fixing the blade ends. Will it be enough to get similar results to reality or I have to add something more as boundaries?

• Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      If the blades rotate with a constant RPM, then isn't the rotational acceleration be equal to zero?
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      In Static Structural, use a Fixed Support at the root of the blade near the axis. Add a Rotational Velocity load. This load creates the centrifugal force on the mass in the blade based on the axis and rotational velocity you specified.
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      ,sir if the blade is able to rotate, then don't you think fixing the blade at the root would not be a proper modelling technique?
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Read the Wiki page... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force
      The analysis is done in the rotating reference frame. In that frame, the blade is not rotating, the world is spinning around the axis. The blade is static. The actual features that hold the root of the blade to the hub could be used to hold the blade.
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      ,so how should we decide what analysis should we conduct in a rotating reference frame and what in an inertial reference frame? Or its just that simple that rotating bodies' analysis should be done in rotating reference frame and non-rotating in inertial reference frame?
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      There is a part of ANSYS Help in the Mechanical APDL section called the Rotodynamic Analysis Guide that explains how to do these types of analysis.
    • UnriseZ
      Subscriber
      Thanks for help.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.