General Mechanical

General Mechanical

SUBMODELLING

• Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      Hello. If I am conducting sub-modelling for a structure, and if the sub structure has a boundary or load condition as in the original structure, so should I include that in the sub-modelling analysis or not? What will be the difference between the two, since both of the cases gives me a solution. n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      It is much easier to answer your questions if you provide a sketch or image to illustrate the structure and sub-structure that you have in mind.nYes, you would include a load or support on the sub-structure that was present on the structure.nThe difference between the two is that you can put much more detail into the sub-structure.nFor example, the structure may have been a shell model that contains no fillets at T-intersections while the sub-structure is a solid model that does include the fillets.n
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      Sir, I reckon you understood my 'difference' wrong.nI meant there would be a difference between the solutions gotten by adding a remote force or boundary condition as present in the original structure, and by not adding them into the sub-structure. But you cleared it out by answering that we have to include the original boundary and loading conditions to the sub-structure as they are, am I correct?nAnd also, there are three options to add the sub-modelling loads, namely, 'Cut boundary constraint', 'Cut boundary remote force', and 'Cut boundary remote constraint', whats the difference between them and which one should be chosen?nPlus, consider the figure below.nIf I want to sub-model the solid on the left, but want the joint loads to be imported, is it possible to do it using sub-modelling?n
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      Sir, I think you misunderstood my 'difference' wrong.nI mean that there is a difference in the solution if we add the load and boundary condition to the sub-structure as they as present in the original structure, and if we donot add it and just continue with the sub-modelling analysis. But you cleared it out that it is necessary (if required) to add the original load and boundary condition to the sub-structure, is it correct?nAlso, there are three options to add the sub-modelling loads on the sub-structure, namely 'Cut boundary constraint', 'Cut boundary remote force', and 'Cut boundary remote constraint', whats the difference between them and which one should be chosen according to what?nPlus, consider the figures below.nI want to sub-model the complete solid on the left, and want the joint loads to be imported, is there an option to perform this? Or even if I want to sub-model right half of the left structure, and want the joint loads to get imported as well, how can I perform this?nIf there is a contact between two bodies, as like in the above figure, will the contact loads or displacements acting on the contact surface be also imported using sub-modelling? If not, then how can we perform this?n
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      While trying to load the data onto the sub-structure, I experience this error. Although I have checked, this is not causing any troubles with the results after evaluation. What does this error mean, and is it fine to ignore this error straight away?n
    • Dragana Jandric
      Ansys Employee
      Why would you do submodeling if you are going to include the whole model on the left side? Is the number of elements the concern in this model? If you are not interested in the right side you can make it rigid. n
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      Bascially, I am conducting a fatigue analysis. I want the joint loads acting on the left body to vary between specific factors. If the factors are known, I want to directly import the joint loads onto the structure on the left for fatigue. nMeaning instead of varying the applied load, I want to vary the joint loads and internal displacements (or forces) acting on it with the same factor as the original load is varying. (Consider right half of the left body here).n
    • Dragana Jandric
      Ansys Employee
      If you have contact or joint or joint load they are not going to be automatically transferred to your submodel, you would need to redefine/reapply these in the submodel manually. n
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      Although the joint loads or contact loads cannot be transferred, but the displacements at the joint connections and contacts will be known, so instead of transferring the loads at these, I can transfer the displacements to the scoped faces, and then (assuming linear relation between the applied load and displacements) I can vary the imported displacements between the factors of which the actual applied load is varying. nThis is the idea I am using to carry out a fatigue analysis, since my model is immensely huge so I donnot want to vary the applied load; I am conducting a fatigue analysis of a local structure within a huge structure. Does the idea sound logical?nAlso, there are three options to add the sub-modelling loads, namely, 'Cut boundary constraint', 'Cut boundary remote force', and 'Cut boundary remote constraint', whats the difference between them and which one should be chosen according to what?nThank you.n
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      Can anyone kindly help me with this problem?nI am getting these two warnings while importing the displacements and rotations from a big structure to a sub-structure using submodelling. I am using the 'Cut boundary constraint' option. What does this warning mean? How will it affect my solutions?n
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.