3D Design

3D Design

Substeps/timesteps in ANSYS

• emoshe
      Subscriber

I am still new to ANSYS. I am working on nonlinear simulations of buckling, and am having trouble understanding what exactly manipulating the time step/substep is and does within ANSYS. So far I understand that the time step is supposed to represent force when analyzing mechanical buckling. Can someone further evaluate how to use these steps in ANSYS and their differences?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      When you say buckling, are you talking about Eigenvalue Buckling? That is a linear analysis, so I don't think you are asking about that.
      If you are talking about nonlinear buckling, then you are talking about a Static Structural analysis, is that correct?
      In a Static Structural analysis, time is used as a counter to increment the load. The default End Time for each step is 1 second.
      You can have multiple steps. Each step can have substeps.
    • emoshe
      Subscriber
      Yes, I was referring to nonlinear buckling. Is there a way to automate the timestepping, similar to how certain values in ANSYS can be parameterized such as the length, width, and thickness of a column in the parameter set. Say I want to test multiple different times. For example, I drew a diagram to give a better idea. Hold the middle for 0,30, or 60 sec. The slopes are meant to be held at 5 or 15 seconds. I want to test the combinations and their consequences.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.