Student Competition

Student Competition

Suggested Desktop for University Club Team

• Charles
      Subscriber
      Hello!

Our university club competes in the Shell Eco-marathon every year, and we are looking to start utilizing the student competition ANSYS package (not the standard student package with limited cells). Our main objective is to use the CFD capabilities to analyze the aerodynamics of potential monocoque shell designs, and we also plan to make use of the general mechanical capabilities as well.

We are wondering if someone could point us to a few "suggested" desktop configurations. We've done a little research, and understand that cores, GPUs, RAM, etc. all play a factor, but what would be most helpful is a few specific models that would best suit our needs.

Our budget is around $7000 (semi-flexible). We would like to spend as little money as possible, but also understand that it might take an increased investment to be able to run a Fluent simulation in less than 5 hours.

We compete in the Shell Eco-marathon, so the body we want to analyze in CFD is about 2.5 meters long, 1 meter tall, and 1 meter wide. It is not very complex (it is essentially a raindrop shape with streamlined extruded portions for three wheels), and we would like our simulations to be relatively high fidelity.

We've seen that BOXX is potentially a good brand to buy from, so any clarification would be great.

I am sorry if we are being too vague on critical parameters to this question - we are still in the learning process - so please let me know if I can be more specific about anything. Thank you very much for all of the support!
    • Nikhil Narale
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

I would recommend you to check the platform support data: Platform Support and Recommendations | Ansys

You can take a call based on your requirements and the budget.

Thanks!

Nikhil

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.