August 2, 2019 at 3:55 pmCri1994Subscriber
I'm doing a non-linear analysis and I'm using a Bilinear model. I have to insert the Yeld stress of material and the tangent modulus.
Where can I find the Tangent modulus of materials?
Thanks for your time
August 2, 2019 at 4:53 pmpeteroznewmanSubscriber
A simple bilinear material model called Elastic Perfectly Plastic (EPP) is often used in engineering analysis. The Tangent Modulus is zero. This material model usually provides conservative predictions of failure. That means if you simulate a safety test and pass with this material model, it is highly likely that a physical test will pass since the real material has some non-zero tangent modulus that can carry more load than the EPP material model.
June 22, 2020 at 11:16 am
June 22, 2020 at 2:49 pmSaiDAnsys Employee
The Tangent Modulus for a material with Bilinear Hardening (such as the one here) is the slope of the curve beyond the yield stress. In the plot above, the first line with a high slope has a slope of 2E11 Pa (i.e. slope is equal to the Young's Modulus). The second line which has a much smaller slope (and appears almost flat) has a slope equal to the Tangent Modulus i.e. its slop is 1.45E9 Pa.
Hope this helps,
October 6, 2022 at 10:04 am
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Colors and Mesh Display
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- User manual
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.