Photonics

Photonics

Temperature change with norm length in the “PIN MZ modulator” example

Tagged: ,

• pb771
      Subscriber

Hello

I was running the "PIN MZ modulator" example and I found that the temperature distribution of the PIN phase shifter is related to its norm length. The longer the length, the higher the temperature. The pictures below show the temperature distribution when the norm length is 100 um and 1000 um, respectively.

I expected the temperature distributions to be the same since I was running a 2D simulation and none of the physical quantities (such as the current density, recombination rate) depends on the norm length.

Could anyone answer my question? Thanks a lot.

• mo_911
      Subscriber

I am interested in this question, too.

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

Did you do the CHARGE and HEAT co-simulation? the 3rd dimension is used to get correct current. When it changes, the current also changes. This might be the cause. You can check the heat total power.

• pb771
      Subscriber

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did the co-simulation by using the "coupled" mode. May I ask how can I check the total heat power?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

In co-simulation, you can check the thermal power at the boundaries:

When I double the norm length, the power is also doubled. This is why the temperature is different. I would suggest that you use the actual device length in the 3rd dimension, which is fixed.

• pb771
      Subscriber

Thank you so much. This really helps.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.