General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Standard Units

• balias
      Subscriber

How can I make sure my engineering data is using the right set of units for different physical properties.

Eg: When I use SI unit, the unit for isotropic thermal conductivity has "c" in the unit where I would expect a "k".

Am I doing something wrong? Is there any issue with my understanding?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

In Workbench, the software manages units properly. It is important to pay attention to what the units are set to when you enter new values. Open Engineering Data, set the Units to SI, create a New Material called SI thermal. Drag and drop the Isotropic Thermal Conductivity property from the Thermal category of the Toolbox onto SI thermal. You will see it used K.  Repeat this for a New Material called metric thermal. You will see it used C.

On the Units menu, you can choose between “Display Values as Defined” or “Display Values in Project Units”. This choice affects what you see when you change units on the Units menu. If you choose “as Defined” then the units don’t change in the Table of Properties when you change units in the Units menu. If you choose “in Project Units” then the units do change in the Table of Properties window when you change units in the Units menu.

When using “as Defined”, you can used mixed units in the Table of Properties panel by using the pull-down menu on each column to change the Units to see the value in a different unit.

The example you give is not very useful to illustrate this last point because the value of thermal conductivity doesn’t change when you change units from W/m/C to W/m/K becuase a 1C change in temperature is also a 1K change in temperature.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.