General Mechanical

General Mechanical

The durability of the ship’s superstructure under the action of forces

• Mazen
      Subscriber

Hello! I don't have that much experience with ansys . I want to clarify some questions please . the purpose of my calculation is to determine the durability of the ship's superstructure under the action of the following forces: wind load, superstructure weight and inertial forces as a result of the ship's motion. 1. ansys aqwa will help me in determining the inertial forces? 2. which module is better for determining wind pressure (ansys cfx or ansys fluent) if I think correctly? 3. Can ansys aqwa, ansys cfx (or ansys fluent ) and ansys static structural be connected to determine the stress level from the specified forces? 4. Is there an easier approach for such a calculation? I'm sorry that I have different questions and thank you for your answers

• Mike Pettit
      Ansys Employee

I will try to answer the Aqwa part of your question, but I will defer to my colleagues regarding CFD approaches.
      Aqwa solves the rigid body motions of one or more structures under the effect of regular or irregular ocean waves. You can also account for current and wind forces/moments, but these are only applied at the structure centre of gravity (not distributed) and you must provide appropriate drag coefficients.
      There is no way to map wind loads from a CFD calculation to an Aqwa analysis, but you can at least use the structure drag coefficients calculated by CFD.
      You can perform a one-way fluid-structure interaction (FSI) analysis by linking the Solution cell of an Aqwa Hydrodynamic Diffraction (frequency domain) or Hydrodynamic Response (time domain) system to the Setup cell of a Static Structural system. In this workflow the hydrodynamic pressures calculated by Aqwa are mapped on to the wetted surfaces of the structural model for subsequent finite element calculations.
      However, we do not currently support pressure mapping to Transient Structural, so each wave phase angle or time step in the hydrodynamic analysis is considered as an independent load step in the structural analysis, and inertia effects are not considered in the structure deformations etc.
      I hope this helps!
      Mike
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.