Fluids

Fluids

The equilibrium of an iceberg when it is cut

• skriabin.ga
      Subscriber

Hello, I need to simulate an iceberg in ansys and see its dynamics in the water when divided into parts. I am new to this program. Can you please advise how to do it or give useful links.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You can probably use the moving mesh options in Fluent along with VOF to look at how the lumps will float. What exactly are you trying to do as you might just need a centre of mass Excel to work out the displacement. 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

How is the cut done? How are you trying to model that cut? By forces?

• skriabin.ga
        Subscriber

The cutting is done by sawing

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

And how do you want to model the sawing? I think you might ingore that sawing part and just track the floating bodies (two parts of iceberg) on the water/air free surface as rigid body and apply 6dof.

• skriabin.ga
        Subscriber

There is already a finished dissertation where the technique of sawing table icebergs with wire saws is developed. I need to expand this dissertation

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

and the titel of the dissertation is? What is included in theier methodology? And what do you want to expand? 

• skriabin.ga
        Subscriber

This is the student's master's thesis. We have the same supervisor, I was given the task of reviewing the problem described above. 
        Cutting cables are placed above and below the iceberg, after which their ends are connected. The cutting cables are stretched and cutting takes place.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

And you want to see what happens when the cut is made, or how the bits float once they're in equilibrium? 

• skriabin.ga
        Subscriber

The first one 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.