Electronics

Electronics

The mesh on port is non-planar

• XYan
      Subscriber

I model ports and conductors along a bent surface (cylindrical surface). Both ports (red color in attached figures) and conductors (green color in attached figures) are equation based, they should touch each other completely. However, it is found that there is a visible gap between the ports and conductors when I zoom out (scale 0.001cm). And an error shows: "   [error] Solving adaptive frequency ..., process hf3d error: The mesh on port 48 is non-planar. Check the port geometry and verify that the mesh accurately represents the port. 

Is there anyone happen to meet this problem and know a solution to this. Thanks!

• Peter Serano
      Ansys Employee

Hello XYan,

All ports should be defined on planar surfaces. I would suggest editing the geometry so that the edges of the rings and ports are planar. 

It might be possible to put a "surface approximation" mesh operation on the ports and edges of the rings set with a very fine mesh but having planar port surfaces is guaranteed to work.

Is this an MRI coil array? 

• XYan
      Subscriber

Thanks Peter! Yeah- it is indeed an MRI coil array. We want to match the real case as much as possible where a cylindrical surface is used - I will try to follow your advice on changing the mesh setup first. Another thing I noted - for this cylindrical surface (diameter ~17cm), an 8-ch array (8.5-cm-width for each coil) works but a 12-ch array failed (5.5-cm-width for each coil). Two quick questions:

1. this ring is a 2D sheet - how can I set manual mesh on the edges of the rings? should model rings as 3D object (materials assigned as copper)?

2. I found there is a visible gap between the ports and the edges of the rings - around 0.001cm. They should touch each other. Is there a way to set a minimum gap so any gap below that value will be seen as touching?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.