July 25, 2020 at 6:59 amhermedoSubscriber
I'm simulating Fluid-Structure Interaction problem by system coupling between 'Transient Structural' and 'Fluent' modules on ANSYS 2019 R1 workbench.
I allocated 3 nodes (each has 32 cores CPU, 128GB memory capacity) on Fluent and 1 node (32 cores CPU, 128GB memory capacity) on Structural (totally 128 cores) as a computation nodes.
- All of the computation nodes have the same specifications such as CPU and memory H/W model.
Also they (computation nodes) have been connected by a graphic node (16 cores CPU, 192GB memory capacity) and a master node with VNC connection.
When I'm monitoring the analysis, the (graphic server) memory usage on the analysis was about 13% at the start point of the analysis.
Ok, that's fine.
But after about 7 seconds (calculation time) in the simulation, then the total memory usage has been shown up to about 60%.
Finally about 5 seconds (calculation time) later (at 12-second calculation point) in the simulation, the analysis has been terminated abnormally.
The error message, that I saw, was shown just like Linux operating system killed the process automatically.
- I think it is because of the out-of-memory error. I heard that Linux os system can force to shut down the process if the memory allocation quantity of a single process exceeds the total amount of memory.
- However, I don't know the exact reason why this happened.
I can't understand what's going on in my simulation...
< FSI analysis set-up >
Fluent: Using LES viscous model (Cs=0.1), About 7.0M cells (tetrahedrons)
Transient Structural: Undamped, About 120K elements (tetrahedrons)
System Coupling: Interaction between Fluent and Transient Structural
If you need more information about my simulation case, then please make any mentions below.
July 25, 2020 at 7:09 amhermedoSubscriber
So, I want to tell you all about my wonders as follows:
1. Is there any issues about memory leak problems on FSI analysis with System Coupling module (Transient Structural - Fluent) on ANSYS workbench?
- I can't easily understand why the amount of memory usage gets larger and larger with the calculation. The software can allocate larger memory because of the parameter variance. However, I think too much memory are using in my simulation.
2. Is there any methods for optimizing data I/O on parallel analysis?
- I think that the time spent for saving analysis results, especially Fluent .cas and .dat files, is too much. Certainly, at the analysis start point, saving result files do not spend much time (it is really continuous). However, it spends too much time when the analysis is going on mid-points.
- For example, on my FSI simulation (analysis set-up is shown below), it reaches at the 14.0sec calculation point to make FSI restart point on 6th July and the result saving process is continuing even until now. In other word, the data saving process (this single process) spends over 17 days...! The only .dat file (Fluent result file) has not been generated until now...
3. Is there any memory leak issues on the connection between Linux OS and ANSYS workbench?
- On the monitoring system, I found 'Mono' process uses too many CPU and memories. And the CPU and memory problems seem to be bigger and bigger as the simulation goes.
Truly thanks for your attentions and helps.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Suppress Fluent to open with GUI while performing in journal file
- Heat transfer coefficient
- What are the differences between CFX and Fluent?
- Floating point exception in Fluent
- The solver failed with a non-zero exit code of : 2
- Difference between K-epsilon and K-omega Turbulence Model
- Getting graph and tabular data from result in workbench mechanical
- Time Step Size and Courant Number
- Mesh Interfaces in ANSYS FLUENT
- error in cfd post
© 2022 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.