Discuss Simulation

Discuss Simulation

The simulated results of microstrip patch antenna does not match the online example

• jxx89
      Subscriber

Hi Sir/Madam,

I just downloaded the online example of a Coaxial-fed patch antenna (https://support.lumerical.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042538213), and simulated the file without doing any modification. After the simulation is done, and running the 'rectangular_patch.lsf' script, however, I found that the generated plots are completely wrong. For example, the reflection loss, and near field power are all zero across the whole frequency range. And in the directivity plot, only the curve for theoretical results appear (no simulated data). It seems to me that there is no energy input at all... However, since I download the file from Lumerical website and did not make change to it, I don't know what happened (Please see these Figs that I generated)

• jxx89
      Subscriber
      Can anyone help me on this... I myself really cannot figure it out...
      Please
    • Taylor Robertson
      Ansys Employee

There was a problem with how the object was being etched. I've updated the fsp file on the support website you linked. Please redownload the file and rerun, you should get the correct results now.
      I am not sure if the meshing behavior changed at some point, this note seems correct; however, the simulation set-up was not.
      Essentially 2D objects can only etch other 2D, and will always take priority over 3D objects. For this reason there was a perfect PEC, the ground plane, serving as cap over the end of the coax that was distorting the results. If we add a ground plane polygon to etch, we get the results we expect. You can see the difference in the surface conductivity.

Best Regards
    • jxx89
      Subscriber
      Thank you so much! I am working on it now!
      Jingwei
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      Thank you fixing this issue.
      xjw19960228 later on please write any post in Photonics Forum related to Lumerical products. Do not communicate inside this post as it has no proper forum associated with it. Thank you!
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.